30 October 2007

Injuries

Here's the background: just over a month ago, I fell down the stairs in my dorm one evening. It looked as if I had broken my ankle, and I got to make a little excursion to the emergency room. Apparently, though, it was the worst degree sprain there is...with all sorts of nasty tissue damage and destruction. Being an intelligent Ivy Leaguer, I decided to race a criterium mere days after this, which gave me enough confidence to continue training on the ankle (albeit with significantly less volume than would be ideal/necessary).

Well, last week I decided that it was time to bump up the weekly volume to something a bit more respectable - in this case 15 hours of base/tempo (really not a lot, but still enough to induce a bit of general soreness and advance my fitness for once).

This was bad. A bad idea. Walking to class is painful now. It's not so much the ankle itself (although that's pretty swollen and bruised) that's hurting, but it's the achilles tendon which took a massive blow in the fall. Riding is out of the question for at least a few days. I'm GOING CRAZY! I feel so helpless. I don't know what to do with my free time now. And I can see the fitness steadily escaping from my body, although it's only been two days off the bike now. Damn.

It takes discipline to prevent myself from hurting myself, no matter how much I want to hurt myself, I suppose.

No comments: