15 January 2008

Some Random Embarrassing Bicycle Thought

Bikesnob posted another one of my absolute favorite "bike love" posts extracted from NYC's craigslist - do read: Weird Weather Bike Love

While Bikesnob NYC is the one and only master of the craigslist commentary, I couldn't help but to point out this wicked evil thing that can be found in Cranston:

1970's SCHWINN Stingray Orange Krate - $1500 [original http://providence.craigslist.org/bik/536798680.html]

Reply to: sale-536798680@craigslist.org Date: 2008-01-12, 1:02PM EST 1970's SCHWINN Stingray Orange Krate Nice shape, new rear correct tire, new brake and shift cables; rear shocks; front drum break, rear caliper brake(original owner must have removed disc brake which this model came with) ; professionally set up and ready to go. beautiful bike! $1500.00. Please no tire kickers! Serious inquiries only. Thanks.

This bicycle was professionally set-up by the Schwinn Hell's Angels, Cranston Chapter. After removing the disk brake, the original owner committed suicide. I do think that with the $1500 pricetag, limiting this to "serious inquiries only" is a good plan. I can't wait to see this think pop up in the driveway of a Propsect Street manion one of these days.


On a somewhat related note (for the heterosexual male bike racers): have you ever checked out a rider before/after a bike race thinking that it was a a female with nice legs/nice butt, only to have that rider turn around at which point you realize that the rider was a male. Because it happens to me a lot. But only at bike races. I hope I'm not the only one, but at least I admit it. And, hell, I'm a student at Brown University so anything goes in that department.

Today was just a nice 50-miler in decent weather (no wind!!!) while attacking the hills - except I got lost out on the plains east of Colorado Springs and ended up doing WAY too many miles on these washerboard-rough dirt roads. I kind of like dirt roads, except today I thought that I was going to: a) destroy a carbon-frame b) destroy my strong-as-diamonds 32-spoke wheels built in the 1990s c) destroy a vertebrate in my back. The experience was like a combination of riding over Brance Avenue in Providence and several miles of cow-catchers.

No comments: